Changing the Oil


It was cold today! 14 degrees says the thermometer this morning. And after a rousing round of tennis, I decided to head over to Karol Bagh to service the Royal Enfield. Around 10, I headed out and decided to experiment a bit with the route, which was definitely fun, but not the best idea. I ended up taking an hour to get there and it was me just meandering through central Delhi with a faint sense of direction leading me on.

Tribhuvan was waiting in the alley. I guess for him the thump of a RE acts like a door chime. He smiled as I got off the bike and asked if I’d be working on the bike this time. Of course I would! So, agreeing on a simple servicing, I got some engine oil, oil filter, air filter and “pakin” – and I guess those were the various washers that I was handed.

We started with emptying the oil, which needs to be done for the engine and the clutch mechanism. For the engine, there’s a simple filter that is accessible from below the bike and it’s very close to the right hand footrest. With Tribhuvan’s help, I opened that up and let loose a dark stream of oil.

Slightly forward and facing front at the fore of the engine’s base is the oil filter, which is held in place with a screw. That filter has to be replaced. The new one needs to be anointed with some oil first to soak the filter, to ensure that when the fresh oil is added, it fills up the filter space quickly too.

Finally, the clutch mechanism’s oil has to be emptied and this one’s the messiest since the whole case comes off. So, we pulled at the casing on the left side first, to ensure that oil would spill out from that end. After that, we used petrol to clean up the inside casing and the various bits and pieces, taking special care to wash the innards of the clutch mechanism too.

Checking the clutch chain, we tightened it a bit and did the same for the rear chain. And finally the tappets as well.

A video of hoohooblin changing the primary oil and showing you the primary chain:

Here’s a cool video of someone adjusting a rear chain.

We checked the air filter and seeing that it was pretty clean, we just dusted it and cleaned the casing. I had some issues with the gear side footrest, and we discovered that the footrest bolt was quite bent and the same for the kickstand. We replaced those. I was unhappy with the headlight, so we replaced the beam and bulb too.

All in all, it was an educational few hours and took us about 3 hours with hardly a break.

Finally, as I was leaving the market, I bought an iron side box for the bike since I realized that the regular storage compartments are nowhere near enough to store even the most basic cleaning and repair equipment. And the bill at the end of the day stood at just under 3,500 Rs. including the cost for my instruction and some additional cleaning sprays.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s