Gosh, it’s been a trying evening! I’ve spent most of my day getting a Linux share to work with my Win7 machine.
I knew it was a Win7 issue coz, I had another server (Linux) which I used to access the share with no trouble.
After much searching, I fixed my local group policy (secpol.msc) as advised and yet found myself banging my head against a wall!
Lucky for me, I found this post which suggested I check my network properties. And indeed I discovered that I’d not enabled “Client for Microsoft Networks” and “File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks” on my network connection!!! Arrgh – lesson learnt!