More recipes from the exchange!
Here’s the one for Spinach Pie. I recently had Spinach quiche, made with whole wheat crust and that was delicious. I expect this one will taste great too.
One of my favorite veggie dishes is Pav Bhaji. I’ve got to try this one sometime soon, but my mom makes it amazingly well and I’ll get her recipe off her in February when she visits. In the meanwhile, here’s one that makes my mouth water just reading it!
PAV BHAJI – This recipe will serve 4 hungry stomachs.
Find any fresh vegetables which are around in your kitchen like:
- 2 potatoes
- 4 tomatoes, medium sized
- 1/2 cup of peas
- 1 med. sized carrot
- 1 med. sized aubergine
- 3 big onions finely cut, keep 1 cup raw onion aside
- 4 cloves garlic and
- 2 fresh chilies (or more – to taste)
- 2" ginger root cut small
- butter or ghee to fry the 4 to 8 hamburger or bread rolls,
cut into two half’s. Toasted when Baji is ready
Get ready spice mixture "PAV BAJI" or mix it yourself.
- Use one tsp. of each of the following:
- Coriander powder
- Black Pepper, powdered
- Dry Mango powder (aka Churan in India)
- Cassia (similar to cinnamon)
- Star Anise
- Fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp. black Cardamom
- 1 bunch of Coriander green
- Salt, to taste
The easy preparation for the Bhaji:
- Boil all vegetable (not too soft)
- Fry small cut onions to glazed looks in butter or ghee,
- Add garlic and chilies, fry another minute (you may cut the stems of coriander leaves to small rings and add as well)
- Add all ground spices and stir for another half minute
- Add all boiled vegetables
- Use a hand blender to cut down large vegetable chunks. Keep this mix a bit chunky for a great texture
- Sprinkle cut coriander leaves and a blob of butter on top of the Bhaji and it’s ready to serve
For the buns:
Heat a pan, add the butter or ghee and fry each bun half so it becomes a bit brown and crispy on both sides, if you burn it it tastes like charcoal.
Spread Bhaji heavily on the bun and sprinkle raw onions over it. Best eaten while Baji and buns(PAV) are still hot.
Once cooked and eaten PAV BHAJI never leaves your mind. It is very simple and fast to prepare and on top its vegetarian.